Having a bad week? And it’s only Monday? Springsteen doesn’t go hand-in-hand with upbeat, feel good music, but there’s something about The Boss that can pull you out of your deepest doldrums. Here’s a playlist designed to improve your perspective in just 30 minutes.
1. "Reason to Believe" (Nebraska) – If you’re feeling down, chances are you’ll need to stew a little before you can start climbing out of your funk. So, start things off by commiserating with “Reason to Believe.” Yes, the song is traced with cynicism but there’s also recognition that no matter how bad it gets, you can still find a reason to believe.
2. "Tougher than the Rest" (Tunnel of Love) – Okay, so you’re feeling like you aren’t alone any more in your state of despondence. But that’s not just it. In fact, you’re not just anybody. You can get through this. You’re tougher than the rest.
3. "Better Days" (Lucky Town) – “Every fool's got a reason to feelin' sorry for himself.” And Bruce is right. You know what? Things aren’t so bad. In fact they’ve been worse. It’s time to start counting your blessings.
4. "Thunder Road" (Born to Run) – Alright, time to start tapping your feet and boosting your confidence. You can’t be kept down. After all, it’s a town full of losers and you’re pulling out of here to wiiiiinnnnnn.
5. "Rosalita" (The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle) – That bad mood you were in? The things that were nagging at you? Almost completely gone. The only thing needed to eradicate them completely? Crank up the volume and revel in the unbridled joy of youthful abandon.
What Springsteen songs do you turn to when you need a boost?